SU Scotland are delighted to offer ‘Light up Christmas’, a free interactive resource for primary 6 and 7 pupils. Through a series of cross-curricular activities, the children can take a fresh look at Christmas in a fun and dynamic way. The downloadable resource pack is simple to use, providing everything needed to run a ninety-minute programme, which can be delivered as one lesson or split into three parts. The programme is based around a series of three videos, with supporting activities, including quizzes, crafts and group work.
The resource helps children explore what Christians believe about Christmas, meeting the following Curriculum for Excellence Experiences and Outcomes;
- Through investigating the ways in which Christians mark major life events and times of year, I can explain key features of such festivals and celebrations. RME 2-03b
- I can show understanding of Christian beliefs and explore the similarities and differences between these and my developing beliefs. RME 2-01c
- I can describe the practices and traditions of Christianity and have considered the way these have influenced Scottish society. RME 2-03c
- I am developing respect for others and my understanding of their beliefs and values. RME 2-07a
- Inspired by a range of stimuli, I can express and communicate my ideas, thoughts and feelings through activities within art and design. EXA 2-05a
- Talking and Listening – Creating Texts - I am developing confidence when engaging with others within and beyond my place of learning. I can communicate in a clear, expressive way and I am learning to select and organise resources independently. LIT 2-10a