East Team Leader / Regional Worker, es-team (West Edinburgh)
Thanks for checking out what’s happening in SU Scotland’s East Region and in West Edinburgh in particular. It’s such a privilege to work with the fantastic East Team and the incredible SU volunteers across West Edinburgh who all love to see God at work as children and young people explore the Bible and get the chance to respond to Jesus.
My role has two parts to it:
- Leading the staff team in the Edinburgh, Lothians, Borders and Falkirk areas (they are all super talented and committed to helping children and young people explore the Bible and respond to Jesus!).
- Supporting and developing the schools and missions work in West Edinburgh as part of es-team, the Edinburgh Schools Team
West Edinburgh (according to SU Scotland at least!) runs from Oxgangs out to Balerno, Sighthill and Ratho, and includes the Firrhill, Currie, WHEC, Balerno, Forrester and St Augustine’s high school clusters. That’s 24 schools with 14 SU Groups currently running, and lots of other great work in the area.
Below is a snap shot of what is going on. If you want to get a fuller picture, please register for my termly newsletter, which you can do on this page. Also there are so many opportunities to further the Good News, we always need more volunteers! If time is too limited to volunteer, you can support the region financially on this page too. The more people involved in volunteering and giving - the more we can do!!
Prayer is at the heart of everything we do in SU Scotland. It’s God’s work we are seeking to do through dependence on him and his Spirit. We would love for you to pray with us!
There are various ways you can get involved and pray for the ministry:
- Our Pray for Schools page has lots of helpful information on the network of prayer groups in schools. If you are already part of a group (or would like to be), you can find out how to register and help us in our vision to make every school a prayed for school.
- In January and November we host prayer gatherings at the SU Office in Oxgangs, and Heather Merriman runs a West Edinburgh/Currie Cluster prayer meeting once a month during term time. We’d love to see you at either of these (get in touch for details).
- Encounter is our prayer event for young people which takes place each year at the Inchyra Grange Macdonald Hotel near Grangemouth. It’s one of those sorts of experiences that have a huge impact on young people as they discover more of what it means to have full access to the Maker of the Universe through Jesus! This year’s event is Sunday 15 March 2020, 3pm to 8pm. For more info, see our events page.
Finally, if you would like to receive termly updates for prayer about SU work in Edinburgh, please email Bobby and she’ll make sure you’re added to the list!
Across the 24 schools in West Edinburgh there are currently 14 SU Groups, 9 in primary schools and 5 in secondary schools. These are all run by fantastic volunteers – parents, teachers, youth workers, and local church members – who care deeply about the children and young people who come along and love to give them the chance to explore the Bible and what it means for us today.
We would love to see SU Groups in every school in West Edinburgh! If you or someone you know might be interested in getting involved in a current group or starting a new SU Group, then please do get in touch – that’s the sort of email that makes my day! It’s easier than ever to run a primary SU Group now that the wonderful One Big Story resource gives leaders a full two years’ worth of ready to go content for every session.
Some of our secondary SU Groups are led by senior pupils. We run the excellent Equip! Training Course for young people leading groups or interested in doing so. Get in touch to find out more.
The brilliant Bible Alive course runs in several or the primary schools. Bible Alive is an interactive multi-week overview of the whole story of the Bible for upper primary aged children. We’d love to see Bible Alive in more schools across Scotland – find out more here if you’re interested.
Christmas and Easter presentations are also delivered by SU Group leaders and local church members in some West Edinburgh primary schools. These are a great opportunity to engage children in the real meaning of these celebrations and support schools and teachers at the same time. Email me if you’d like to find out more firstname.lastname@example.org.
One of the great privileges of working with SU Scotland is the opportunity to take young people away on weekend and week-long holidays where they have fantastic fun and the opportunity to explore Christian faith in more depth. SU provides so many varied opportunities to get away and have an amazing time – find out more at SUHolidays.org.uk.
This year I’ll be involved in or leading…
- Go Conference, SU Scotland’s national youth conference for S4-S6 pupils who want to grow in their relationship with God and understand how the Bible shapes all areas of life… home, school and church. Find out more here.
- The new Currie Cluster weekend. This is a new event for children and young people in Currie and Juniper Green, run in partnership with the churches there. Get in touch if you’re in the local area and want to get involved!
- An Easter study camp at Gowanbank. A fantastic opportunity to get some serious studying done before exams while having great fun with friends and getting to know God better. Details to be confirmed but it’s likely to be the 4th -10th April 2020. Check back in January when bookings go live.
- The Edinburgh Big Beach Weekend (WESC9) at Scoughall, SU’s incredible campsite by the beach! This weekend is for P5 to S3, 8th-10th May Again, more info at SUHolidays.org.uk.
All of these events are led by SU Scotland staff or experienced volunteer Team Leaders, along with team of accredited SU Scotland volunteers. If you'd be interested in volunteering at a residential event then I'd love to hear from you too!
I’d love to come along to your church – a Sunday service, a mid-week prayer meeting, or your youth group – to speak about SU’s work and ways to get involved.
Please do get in touch if you would like to discuss running a holiday club or mission, organising curricular activities for your local schools (Christmas or Easter presentations or Bible Alive), or if you would like your youth group invited to our events.
Additionally, for creative, practical, and realistic ways in which your congregation can support their local school, please visit our Serve Your Local School website.
Spotlight is our monthly gathering for young people in S1 to S3 with games, Bible study and food!
Equip is a monthly event for S4 to S6 aiming at helping you live for Jesus in school. We have top quality speakers come each month and help us think through big questions so we can be a stronger witness for Jesus in school.
Both events are held at Carrubbers Christian Centre, 65 High St, Edinburgh from 5pm to 7pm. See the events page for more details.
Powerpoint is a youth worship night for S1-S6 that includes Bible teaching, games and music. For information on upcoming events visit the Powerpoint Scotland website here.
Encounter is an annual youth prayer event aimed at P7-S6. Young people are invited to attend with their youth leaders for a day of worship, teaching and workshops focused on encountering God in Prayer. Our most recent event was held in February 2019. This year’s event is Sunday 15 March 2020, 3pm to 8pm. For more info, see our events page.
Thank you for taking the time to read about SU’s work in West Edinburgh! SU Scotland is one big family and I’d love for you to be part of it. If you would like to support the work by praying, giving or volunteering then please get in touch!