Date: 24th June 2019 - 25th June 2019
Time: 09:00 - 17:30
Kinross, KY13 0QA
- per person: free
Location: Lendrick Muir
This course is for leaders wishing to lead young people on Trail Biking sessions at Kingscross or Scoughall events.
Trail biking is an exciting activity at SU Holidays. It gives us a chance to take young people on a mini adventure, spend time with them, help them develop new skills and explore the world around them. Biking has the added benefit that for many young people, it’s something they can do at home once they return – so skills can continue to be worked on, or their own adventures planned.
The trail bike leader training offered by SU Scotland will help you to give the young people a great outing on bikes -whether they are ready for a hard hill climb or just want to cycle to the ice cream shop. At the end of the course you will:
- Have gained the skills to choose an suitable route for the group of young people
- Know how to check a bike is safe to ride
- Understand the key skills young people need to keep themselves safe on bike
- Have gained ideas to teach, challenge and develop their skills through games and activities
- Know how to perform simple maintenance on a bike, things might occur during a bike ride
- Have looked at ways for managing the group safely on roads and on trails
The training that SU Scotland offers is similar to the training days for the British Cycling Level 2 Bike Leader award. The British Cycling scheme asks for a minimum number of trail biking rides before attending training. For the SU Scotland training we suggest that you enjoy biking and have an interest in helping young people enjoy biking. It would be helpful if you have done some riding off road – for example on forestry tracks. On the course you will do some riding on site and some exploring trails around the centre.
Please note those leading Trail Biking need a current 2 Day Outdoor First Aid qualification. Participants may attend only day 2 in order to re-validate their training. The first training must have been between 2 and 3 years before. If longer than 3 years, then both days must be done.