Hi, my name is Laura Barber and I live in East Ayrshire. I am very excited about my upcoming gap year. I chose to do a gap year with SU Scotland because they are a Christian Charity and I really want to take the time this year to deepen my faith as well as working alongside young people. I will be based here in Ayrshire working with Carol and Sylvia and Colin at Gowanbank.
I cannot wait to meet and work with new people; both my new colleagues and the young people I will meet throughout the year. I am also excited to be pushed out of my comfort zone. I am eager to explore if youth work and children’s work is something I am called to do!
In my spare time I enjoy watching Netflix, playing guitar and spending time with my dog. I also enjoy going out for drives and going out for food.
I have done a variety of things in my Gap Year so far, some of these include:
- Ayrshire prayer meetings/ action groups
- Planning and leading various day camps
- Help to run a face to face SU group in Irvine
- Work through a self-study programme
- The assistant team leader of the Greater Glasgow Connect Group
- Being a part of GO-Conference
- A leader at the SU training for s4-6 pupils to go on and lead an SU group in their school
- I spent a few nights up at Lendrick Muir where I took part in a whole variety of tasks and saw how the centre generally runs
I am looking forward to the rest of the year and I am excited to see what sort of stuff I will be doing and how I will grow!