Scripture Union Scotland
70 Milton Street
Tel: 0141 332 1162
Fax: 0141 352 7600
Thanks for taking a moment to look at my page – hopefully it will give you the information you need, even if that is just my contact details.
Please get in touch if you want to find out more about the work of Scripture Union Scotland in your area… or perhaps to see if there is something I can do to support you.
Here are a few things to give you an idea of what is happening in the next few weeks and months.
SU Groups are starting up again this term. SU Groups can form part of a school’s ‘informal curriculum’, often meeting at lunchtimes and sometimes after school. Having an SU Group is something I have found Head Teachers keen to have as part of the school community because of the atmosphere created in the group, how inclusive the groups are and because they can be a ‘safe’ place for pupils to be.
What ‘type’ of group is run depends a lot on who is running the group… some group leaders are crafty, some love telling stories, others will have space to play games, some sit round a table and chat while they eat lunch. There are still gaps where it would be great to see new SU Groups, and where schools are keen, but there is currently no-one to lead a group; if you are interested in finding out more about being part of a team running an SU Group, please get in touch. I'm really grateful to all the volunteers who help run SU Groups week by week.
I had a great summer at various event:
- Arran, working with S5–S6 pupils as they did took part in their training programme, Basecamp (part of our Commission programme), and it was so good to see them put their training into practice over the summer months at SU holidays and local church holiday clubs.
- Being at Mull again for the SU Mission was a joy. A great team with lots of young people getting into the ‘Fit for a King’ programme.
- I was at Scoughall again in July. The majority of the team at Scoughall has worked together for a number of years now and it was great to be involved their this year again.
Megamix is a monthly event for young people in P5–P7. It's aimed at children in SU Groups and church groups in the East Renfrewshire area. It runs for two hours on a Saturday afternoon, with fun, games, a Bible theme and a snack at the end.
If you would like to know more, please get in touch – there's also a flyer with all the information on the right hand side of the page. The next events are:
- Saturday 29th Nov at Maxwell Mearns Castle Church
- Saturday 28th Feb in Newton Mearns Baptist Church
- Saturday 28th March in Maxwell Mearns Castle Church
- Saturday 25th April – venue to be confirmed
- Saturday 30th May – venue to be confirmed
There is a downloadable leaflet on the right hand side of this page.
As I mentioned above being part of discipling young people is a crucial part of SU Scotland's ministry and one of the highlights of my year. Our COmMISSION programme aims to do this with various events during the year.
Please consider if you have any young people in this age bracket in your church who would benefit from this training. It will increase their knowledge of the Bible, help them grow in confidence in their faith, show them some really practical ways of playing a positive role on a team and introduce them to a peer group of Christian young people who will encourage them in their walk with Jesus.