Jo Black (East Edinburgh)
Scripture Union Scotland
2 Oxgangs Path
Tel. 0131 445 9918
Fax. 0131 445 4100
Hi! My name is Jo Black and I am the es-team worker for East Edinburgh. This means that I am there to be of service to the schools and churches within the High School clusters of:
- Drummond CHS (3 associated Primary Schools)
- Trinity Academy (3 PS)
- Holyrood HS (6 PS)
- Leith Academy (4 PS)
- Portobello HS (5 PS)
- Castlebrae HS (3 PS)
- Pilrig Park Special School (1 PS)
Although I work part time, there is always a great variety of things that can be done in this area – from assemblies, to RME lessons, working with volunteers, teachers and church leaders, supporting current SU groups and establishing new events and opportunities for school-aged youngsters. I also lead SU residential events and am always keen to share information about weekend and week-long camps for children and teens.
Please don't hesitate to get in touch if there is anything I can do to be of help to your school or church, or if you have any questions about volunteering opportunities in East Edinburgh. You can also have a look at the general es-team page for events that take place in the whole city. I really look forward to hearing from you!
- Portobello High School has had a group for the last six years and currently has around eight regular S2 attendees. They meet from 12:45pm – 1:30pm every Wednesday during the school term to share lunch, games, endless chatter and an exploration of the Bible. Could you lend a pair of hands to help maintain this group and develop it further?
- Parsons Green PS SU Group meets on Wednesday lunchtime from 12:40pm – 1:10pm (although the day of the week could be flexible). The current leadership is stepping down after many years of service. What could you bring to this open door?
- A PS in Leith is in the early stages of discussing the possibilities of starting a lunchtime group for their P5-P7s but things will not move forward without volunteers – could you be the person they are looking for?
Prayer for East Edinburgh
I meet together regularly with people from across East Edinburgh to share breakfast, news and prayer for the work going on. Our next breakfasts are planned for Saturday 20 April and Saturday 1 June from 9am – 10am at 69 Lasswade Road, EH16 6SZ (on 31 bus route). Please get in touch for more information. All welcome.
Discipleship for S4–S6
East Edinburgh has its own senior group for S4–S6 pupils who want to go deeper with how the Bible can impact their lives. Network is a relaxed, welcoming and fun group to meet with peers and take hold of different opportunities to explore where God is leading you. We meet at 5 Wardie Avenue on the last Friday of each month from 7:30pm – 9:45pm. Please get in touch for more information. Supporting leaflet attached opposite.
SU Holidays this summer
My husband Aaron and I are involved in leading a week long holiday at Glenshee this summer from 13 – 20 July (GS3) for anyone from P6–S1. For us this is the highlight of each calendar year and traditionally has welcomed a good number of campers from East Edinburgh. There are spaces still available so please check www.suholidays.org.uk to make sure you don’t miss out!